Sunday, March 29, 2015

IMS I-CSCF and S-CSCF

I-CSCF which is, Interrogating Call Session Control Function is one of the main elements in the IMS hardware architecture. I-CSCF is used to forward the SIP requests to the S-CSCF. There may be several S-CSCF in a network, I-CSCF helps to find out a right one. This acts as key element in Roaming methodology. 

The I-CSCF must find an S-CSCF in two instances

1. a P-CSCF forwards a SIP register request to the I-CSCF based on the home domain of the user. 
2. An S-CSCF forwards the SIP INVITE to the I-CSCF based on the domain of the called party. 

In both cases,  a CSCF node extracts the home domain of the originating or terminating endpoint and consults a DNS server to determine IP address of the I-CSCF 

Below is overall architecture of an IMS network. 




References:

No comments:

Post a Comment